Here is the recipe of delicious traditional Jewish sweet braided bread Challah, which is one of important part of Jewish Sabbath – every week holiday.
Today we are going to learn how to make it.
This type of dough you can use for buns or other shape bread, but it will be perfect if you do it by using this recipe. Try it and you will like it!
- 800 gr wheat bread flour
- 50 gr sugar
- 60 gr extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 200 – 250 ml of water
- 8 grams active dry yeast
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp. water
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Apricot syrup
- Add sugar, yeast, 160 gr of flour and mix well. Add 250 ml of warm water and give a good stir. Set aside in warm place for 20 minutes.
- Sift flour into mixing bowl, add salt.
- Whisk eggs and add to raised yeast mixture. Combine with sifted flour and make the dough.
- Knead the dough until it stops sticks to hands.
- Make a ball, cover with plastic wrap or clean cloth and put in warm place for 1 hour.
- When the dough doubles in sizes, knead it once more, cover with clean kitchen towel and set aside for 40 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half and each half in three pieces. Make balls and cover with clean kitchen towel.
- Line the baking sheet with baking paper and slightly grease with oil.
- Make long sausages from dough balls and use three of them to make on braided bread.
- Put Challah on the lined baking pan and set aside for 30 minutes more. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Grease the Challah bread with whisked egg with water, sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds.
- Bake into oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Take out the Challah bread from oven and put on the wire rack. Grease with apricot syrup and serve.
- Bon Appetite!
- If you cook Challah in cold time in year, you can make it quicker by using a microwave. Put the mixing bowl with dough into microwave (but not turn it on!) and place near to it cup or glass of hot water. Close the door of microwave and set aside the dough for 30 minutes.